Facial massage is becoming increasingly popular in salons and spas. Aside from the calming benefits of massage, many people feel it plumps the skin and enhances the facial skin and muscles, improving the look.
Numerous studies have been conducted over the years to examine the efficacy of face massages. However, most research has substantial drawbacks, such as minimal participation and a lack of follow-up. As a result, there is no solid scientific evidence that face massages can significantly address skin disorders.
Benefits of Facial Massage for Skin Firmness and Elasticity
Nonetheless, facial massage practitioners believe they help minimize signs of skin aging. For example, a 2018 study looked at the impact of massage rollers on the skin for five weeks. Researchers discovered an increase in vasodilation, a measure of blood flow on the right cheek, by the conclusion of week 5. This might improve skin plumpness and healing by increasing the supply of vital nutrients. On the other hand, the study subjects needed to be more significant. As a result, additional research is required to validate the findings.
According to another study, massages also boosted the skin's expression of decorin, fibrillin, tropoelastin, and procollagen-1. The compounds mentioned above aid in the construction of cells and tissues. In the same study, researchers discovered that utilizing anti-aging cream to supplement massage showed that the group that used the cream and massage simultaneously performed better in terms of aging and elasticity parameters than those who did not.
On the other hand, practitioners of facial massage argue that exercise helps tighten the skin, primarily when facial oil products are utilized. The workout helps the skin regain its elasticity by strengthening the facial tissue and encouraging the skin to repair and heal itself. Facial massage also ensures that the skin completely absorbs lotions and moisturizers. Furthermore, it improves blood circulation, which accelerates tissue restoration.
How to Experience a Facial Massage
Despite the lack of a proper study to back up the advantages of facial massages, these massages will calm you. As a result, it is still best to keep or begin practicing to make yourself feel better.
Here are some pointers on how to perform a facial massage:
- Rub the oil between your palms to warm it. Then, apply the oil evenly to the face and neck using delicate, upward strokes.
- Repeat the procedure from the neck, moving the fingers upward from the collarbones to the jaw.
- Gently press outward and upward on the sides of the chin, moving over the jawline towards the ears. Repeat as necessary.
- Repeat on the sides of the nose, but this time glide the fingers upward and forth over the cheekbones. Repeat as necessary.
- Slide your fingers between your brows, outward across the brow bone, and towards your temples. Repeat as necessary.
- Return your fingers to the brows, but brush them vertically from the brows to the hairline.
You may leave the face massage oil on your skin after the treatment. If it bothers you, remove it with cotton and a face cleanser.